Friday, May 6, 2011

Popular vs. Well-Liked.... Hmmmm.

Hi guys! =D So I haven't blogged in a while... again... and I've noticed that my last blog (or so? idk) was about makeup and whatnot. Not too deep. That's unusual. HA! So I decided I'd go back to my social issues/advice kind of things... 


I am not really saying that I'm right. Of course, I believe all my opinions to be perfect, but I know this isn't the case. Just hang in here with me, let me know what you think. =)


I guess this blog is gonna be rather personal without being specific, if that makes sense. H'okay, jumping right in. I had a hard time when I was younger.  I got picked on a lot because I was kinda gross... and then I started skipping a lot of school because I got picked on. Vicious cycle. You could say I wasn't very popular at all... and it bugged me. I had a good couple close friends. Well, good as they can be in middle school. Everyone sucks in middle school, me included! haha but I'm sure that's a whole new topic for a new blog... SO! This bothered me, having a couple close friends but not being seen as cool. 


Anyone who knows me will realize that this changed all too quickly. =)


I've always been fairly level-headed and kind of in my own world... so I sort of got over this. But then I had this new philosophy, and this in particular is what I would like to share with EVERYONE. It has made me so much happier, and anyone who is having issues perhaps similar to the issues I had should give it a shot.


Try to be well-liked instead of popular.


Huh? What? Well-liked and popular mean the same thing, right?
Wrong.
Not to me!


Before I go off on my little rant, let me just say that you can be BOTH popular and well-liked at the same time. I'm not. hahaha


Popular people are the ones who are 'cool'. People talk about them and want to be like them. Have you heard what happened to so-and-so? I heard she got caught blah blah blah... Oh my gosh, I thought he was blah blah blah.  I'm sure you have at least a couple people in mind when I say this.  (Again, they're not necessarily bad people. A lot of the popular people I know are REALLY nice. Just sayin!)


But I personally strive to be well-liked instead of popular.  I want people to look at me and not think 'Oh, she's so cool' but instead think 'She's such a nice girl'. Instead of people wanting to be like me or talk about me to other people... I'd rather you talk to me and ask my advice. =) I would much rather be out in the open talking to all kinds of people than up on a pedestal.  Is this all making sense?  I guess I associate popularity with a sort of caste system, with the populars at the top and the not-so-populars at the bottom.  I really try my hardest to give people a chance when I meet them instead of basing my perceptions off what other people say.  Well, I try. It's really hard. 


What I want is for people to like me for ME. Not for my friends or who I hang out with on the weekend. Not for how normal I am. (or am not. Let's be honest!) Not for how popular I may or may not be.


I think it is really important that people separate popularity from being well-liked.  Of course, as always, this is just my two cents. Take it or leave it, but at least consider it.


You know, I think my little philosophy has actually helped me quite a bit... I always tried (key word, tried) to be nice to people no matter who they were... That's the well-liked part of the deal... and maybe in doing so, if I have become more popular.... (hypothetical here, people!) then I'm not just in with the people at the top. I am friends (ahem, acquaintances) with all kinds of people.


Freshman or senior. Fat or skinny. Girl or guy. Pretty or not.


Give me reason to like you, and I'll reciprocate. =)  (Whoo usage of vocabulary words from school in every day life!)


Alright, I've said enough. Tell me what you think, and be honest! Tell me if you're confused. Ask me for advice - I LOVE giving my opinion, obviously. =) Also, tell me if there's anything in particular you think I should blog about... I'm up for suggestions. Boom baby.
Thanks for checking in. Byyyyye! <3

3 comments:

  1. I agree Darce. When I think back to the so-called 'popular' group in high school not a lot of people liked them. (I have no idea why they were viewed as popular. I think they gave themselves that title.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post shows amazing insight, Darcy. If more teenagers adopted your attitude and way of thinking, there would be so many less teen suicides and miserable kids.
    High school is hard enough without all the crap that goes along with the pressure of being "popular". I much prefer, as you do, being well-liked.
    I think all of my kids experienced the same treatment in MS and HS, mostly because they marched to their own drummer, like you. I think it's important for everyone to be proud of being unique. It takes guts, that's for sure.
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think you reached your goal of being well liked kiddo :) love this advice - you always have good ideas!!

    ReplyDelete