Thursday, February 17, 2011

Makeup On a Budget...

Ya'll know what I'm talking about: DRUGSTORE MAKEUP. <3

So lately I've been doing my research.  I am by no means, uh, affluent.  I don't have a lot of money to throw around on high end makeup, so I've been doing my research on the good, less expensive makeup.  You definitely don't always have to buy really expensive makeup to get good quality.  My birthday's coming up, and I know that since I've been obsessed with makeup and Mom doesn't want to get me anything extreme, I started looking around for that inexpensive quality.  =)  I think it's important to be well-informed when making a purchase, so I always look around BEFORE making a decision in the store.  Anyway!  I'll just create an illustrated list of the products I already own here, and hopefully as I continue I will be able to add to this list...

Here we go!  (side note: with any and all of my reviews, I never ever pay attention to how long lasting a product is... I'm oblivious to time!)


Loreal Paris True Match Foundation (in light ivory W2) 
I love, love, love this foundation. =)  I started loving it when my cousin Joyce showed it to me, and then forgot about it... And I've fallen in love again.  I feel like this foundation blends really well, and gives a good overall light coverage.  Obviously when I use it I still need to conceal blemishes and other imperfections with a different concealer.  I like to apply this foundation with a slightly damp cosmetic sponge, which gives it a really natural finish.  Another thing I like about this foundation is that you don't need to apply any powder to set it or keep it matte.  I just now realized actually (haha) that it is an oil free foundation, so that makes sense.  I feel like I do really need to do a good job moisturizing my face before I apply this, however.

Maybelline New York Instant Age Rewind Double Face Perfecter (in the lightest color?)
This is a new find for me! As in I found it in the last month or so.  There is kind of a funny story to explain why I found this concealer/highlighter... Michelle Phan did a tutorial a while back on Ray William Johnson (funny YouTube guy!!!) for guy makeup.  She used the concealer to hide dark circles and imperfections, and the highlighter to make his skin look brighter.  Who said it can't work on a girl? =)  I'm so glad I watched that tutorial and picked it up.  I have kind of bad skin, and the concealer does such a great job covering blemishes.  I often do not wear any foundation, and if I only use this concealer I am set!  I love the highlighter too - I use it on my dark circles/inner corners of the eyes, brow bone, bridge of my nose, and right above my cheekbones.  It brightens my skin and makes me look really healthy.  I use both the concealer and the highlighter simply with the built in applicators.  One of my new favorites for sure!

Loreal True Match Blush (in cool)
This is actually the blush that made me start wanting to use blush. All the time.  My mom bought it on accident because she likes cream blushes, not powder.  So she gave it to me!  I stumble upon all my favorite products by accident.  This is a nice, soft powder blush that is super easy for beginners to use (AKA meeee).  Its the perfect color to get that subtle glow - it's not quite so pink as it shows in the picture.  I think it's a bit more peachy...  It's really easy to apply just a little so it's soft, or build it up as much as you want.  I think it's a really versatile shade.  I like to use my own blush brush though, and not the one provided in this little compact.  Oh, it has a mirror!  Super handy.  The only thing I don't always like about this blush is that there is a bit of shimmer to it, which is not always what you want.  Other than that, one of my favorite blushes for everyday.

Maybelline Eyestudio Quad (in Spirited Seas)
Okay, so you might be looking at this palette going....wtf?  Me too.  Sort of.  This should be a great palette for most blue eyes, but not for me!  My eyes are too grey for this palette.  Why is it on this list, then?  The texture of these eyeshadows are incredible!  They're so smooth and shimmery and I love the way they apply.  I do not hate these colors by any means... But the icy blue colors don't do me any favors.  The light whitish gold on the left is awesome for highlighting my brow bone and inner corners when I'm doing warmer eyeshadow looks.  The copper on the left is also great to perk up a brown shadow look.  The reason I'm showing you guys this palette is because it is the one that I currently own, so I know what I'm talking about.  But also because I plan on buying two other palettes that I'm reeeally excited about.  Since I know I like the way the shadows look and feel, I'm hopeful these will be great...

This is Pink Persuasion, the palette I would LOVE to get my hands on immediately! It's high on the birthday list so fingers crossed. =)  It's the perfect palette for a standard smokey eye, plus a pink color to warm up your eyes.

This is Legendary Lilac, which I am not quite as crazy about... But I still really want to add some good purple eyeshadows to my collection, and this looks like a good palette.

Tell me what you think! I hope this was helpful. Less impulse buying = being happier with your purchases.  YAY! <3

2 comments:

  1. I've used both the foundation and the blush you talked about but switched to different ones for some reason. (I think the foundation didn't last long enough for me.) The eye shadows look really cool. I might have to go buy some. I liked the colors in the Legendary Lilac palate more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! If you find out why you switched away from those products, by all means let me know. I love being informed. =)

    ReplyDelete