Monday, February 21, 2011

My Reviews of Recent Movies =)

The Roommate
Okay, definitely not my favorite.  It's supposed to be some sort of suspenseful thriller... I just thought it was weird.  I'm very easily scared, and it really only made me jump a couple times. Lame.  Anyway, the basic plot is that Minka Kelly's character is a freshman in college, and her roommate (Leighton Meester) becomes obsessed with her.  There was a lot of hype about this movie because it looked pretty good in commercials, but it fell flat when you watched it.  The best part of the movie? Cam Gigandet.  *swoon*  I love that he hasn't been playing the villain lately. (like in Never Back Down, Twilight, etc...)  Although, he played a frat boy.  Lame.  BUT one thing I really hated about this movie - how they portray mental illness.  Okay, I can't say this idea is all my own because I heard another person review this negatively, but I totally agreed.  I had similar thoughts in the theater... Basically, this movie leaves you with the impression that all people with mental illnesses (esp. schizophrenia and bipolar disorder) are scary/evil/dangerous... You get the idea.  It was kind of upsetting...
Overall:  Don't bother.  You won't be scared.  You'll feel unsatisfied leaving the theater.  UNLESS, of course, you are a major Cam Gigandet fan, then by all means.


The Unknown
Oh! Totally worth the seven dollars for the ticket. =) Starring Liam Neeson, this is kind of a psychological action movie, I think?  It's kind of hard to categorize.  So, in this film, the basic idea is that Neeson gets separated from his wife chasing down his luggage when they're on a trip to Berlin for a convention.  He gets in an accident, hits his head pretty dang hard, I'd say, and wakes up confused in a hospital.  As he remembers more and more, he tries to find his wife and put the pieces of his life back together.  He finally finds his wife, only to find out that she does not recognize him at all.  Hmmm... Interesante, no?  I absolutely loved this movie.  At times it had me a wee bit confused.  Alright, at times I was quite confused.  But there was a lot of good action - Neeson is a badass, as you should already know.  I thought it was a good mix of action, mystery(ness), and suspense.
Overall:  Take my word for it, and go see the movie.  I don't want to tell you anything else because I wouldn't want to ruin it for you.  Just remember that things are not always as they seem. =)


Justin Bieber: Never Say Never
Never say you will never go to this movie.  Basically, it shows you how the kid became famous from when he was a baby til now, and it illustrates how he prepared for his biggest performance to date: Madison Square Garden.  I'm not going to dwell long on this particular flick, as I know it gets lots of craaaaazy conflicting reviews. hahah  I would just like to say that going into the theater I was a sarcastic, cynical, and probably sensible young girl.  Meghan and I joked, 'ahahah, Bieber Fever, blah blah blah, this is so stupid..."  We walked out in love.  Kid you not.  We went and bought the boy's CD.  I know that there are a lot of people who really hate the guy, but I have to tell you I didn't realize he was so talented.  He's literally a prodigy.  He started out on the drums, and now he sings, plays piano and trumpet.... and other things I'm sure.
Overall:  Boys, don't go see it - I don't want you getting run over and probably killed by the crazy angry mob of Bieber Fans you insult.  Girls, it's a must see.  I think everyone should see the movie at least once.


No Strings Attached
I was SO excited to go see this movie.  Believe me, I'm always up for some Ashton Kuetcher.  Natalie Portman though? Ehh.  The main idea: Can two friends have a strictly physical relationship and keep things platonic?  It's kind of a cute idea... I'm having a hard time thinking of things to say about this one since I saw it a couple weeks ago.
Overall:  Go see it.  It's cute, and it's funny.  Worth a ticket, I'm sure. haha sorry for the less than convincing reveiw.




That's all for now. =)  But there are lots of movies I haven't seen yet that I want to:
The Hall Pass
Just Go With It
I Am Number Four
The Other Woman


I can't think of any others at the moment... If you see any of these, drop a comment and let me know how they are! =)

1 comment:

  1. Your comment on 'Never Say Never' of males avoiding it because they will not like it is not completely true. I am in college and live in dorms and two of the guys went to it this last weekend and LOVED it. By no means was I impressed with them but they seemed to think it was great and now are Bieber fans. Beforehand they were the typical male who hated the kid. Just a thought on that one =)

    ReplyDelete